Attitudes to tourism
- Why do you think people like to travel to different places in their free time?
- How do you see tourism changing in your country in the future?
Conserving the countryside
- Why is it important to protect the countryside?
- In what ways is the countryside in danger in your country?
Historic buildings and monuments
- Why are historic buildings and monuments important to a city?
- Is it better to keep old buildings, or build new modern ones?
Attitudes to family
- In what ways have families in your country changed in recent years?
- Should husbands and wives have different roles within the family? Why (not)?
Family or friends
- Which are more important to you: your family or your friends?
- What conflicts can arise between a person’s family and a person’s friends?
- What responsibilities do parents have towards their children?
- What responsibilities do children have towards their parents?
Things to buy
- What typical things can visitors to your country buy?
- What things do young people like to buy in your country?
- Is it a good idea to save money? Why (not)?
- Do you think that people are happier if they have money? Why (not)?
- What can shops do to make shopping more pleasant for their customers?
- Do you think that in the future people will do most of their shopping using the Internet? Why? / Why not?
Shopping at markets
- Do people in your country enjoy going to open-air markets that sell things like food or clothes or old objects? Which type of market is more popular? Why?
- Do you think markets are more suitable places for selling certain types of things? Which ones? Why do you think this is?
- Do you think young people feel the same about shopping at markets as older people? Why is that?
Shopping in general
- What do you think are the advantages of buying things from shops rather than markets?
- How does advertising influence what people choose to buy? Is this true for everyone?
- Do you think that any recent changes in the way people live have affected general shopping habits? Why is this?
Attitudes to food
- What do you think a healthy diet consists of?
- Which do people in your country prefer: traditional food or fast food such as hamburgers or pizzas?
Learning about food
- Do you think children should be taught about healthy diets and cooking at school? Why (not)?
- At what age do you think children should be taught to cook?
- What can be done to prevent poor people in the world going hungry?
- Should rich countries help poor countries with more than just food?
Travelling and learning
- What do people learn from travelling?
- Do you think the growth of international tourism is a good thing? Why (not)?
Tourism and culture
- How has tourism changed the way people in your country live?
- How should tourists behave when they visit your country?
Ways of travelling
- What do you think is the best way for a tourist to travel if they want to learn about your country?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of travelling by plane?
Reasons for daily travel
- Why do people need to travel every day?
- What problems can people have when they are on their journey, for example to work or school? Why is this?
- Some people say that daily journeys like these will not be so common in the future. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Benefits of international travel
- What do you think people can learn from travelling to other countries? Why?
- Can travel make a positive difference to the economy of a country? How?
- Do you think a society can benefit if its members have experience of travelling to other countries? In what ways?
Attitudes to education
- How has education changed in your country in the last ten years?
- Is a good education more important to a boy or a girl? Why?
The focus of education
- How well do you think schools prepare young people for working life?
- Do you think schools should teach subjects like art, music and dancing? Why (not)?
Education and technology
- How important is it for schools to have computers for their students?
- Is the Internet a valuable educational tool?
Safety and danger
- In what ways is life becoming safer, and in what ways is it becoming more dangerous?
- Should people always avoid danger, or is it a good idea sometimes to take risks?
- What risks should people try to avoid?
- Do you think people take fewer risks as they grow older? Why (not)?
- How important is it to have adventure in our lives?
- What do people learn about themselves from having adventures?
Attitudes to newspapers
- In what ways are newspapers better for learning about the news than listening to the radio or watching television?
- Do you think newspapers should be completely free to say whatever they want?
Tastes in reading
- What do people enjoy reading in your country?
- Do you think it is important for people to read a lot? Why (not)?
Public and private lives
- What sort of stories do newspapers and magazines publish about well-known or famous people in your country?
- Do you think the media should be allowed to publish stories about the private lives of public figures?
Sport & Health
- What do you do to keep fit?
- Are you good at sport?
- What sports do you play?
- What is the most popular sport in your country?
- What are the best ways to keep fit?
- Do you think most people consider exercise a chore or do they find it fun?
- What is the most popular form of exercise in your country?
- Do you think people in your country are less healthy than they used to be?
- How can we encourage young people to stay healthy?
- Should governments intervene to force people to be healthier?